It’s All About Positioning The Content
Stats are facts. They don’t lie. They don’t tell the truth. They are just facts.
The way stats are positioned is what matters.
All of these statements can be considered true:
- Google’s Penguin update decimates SMB sites
- Google’s Penguin update moves well-deserving sites to the top of the rankings
- John Hamilton is Batting a whopping 0.379
- The top hitter, Josh Hamilton, managed to fail only 62.1% of the time
- Josh Hamilton fails to get a hit 62% of the time he’s at the plate
- Our Redesign Only Increased Conversions 3%
- The 39 hour redesign project only increased conversions by a measly 3%
- Our Redesign Lead to an amazing 250% Conversion Lift
- Our Redesign Increased Profits a stunning $47,000
- 1.2 Billion Dollars Later, SpaceX Manages to launch a single rocket
- SpaceX Grows Closer to Launching the First Commercial Space Flight
- SpaceX Launches a Rocket! Moving closer to commercial space flights
- 74.9% of 9th Graders will Graduate in 4 years
- More than 25% of the Incoming High School Freshman Class will Not Graduate
- US Education in Decline. Graduation Rate Keeps Dropping
- New US Education Policies Working? Almost Three Quarters Of all Freshman will Graduate
The stats are true. The interpretation of stats is all about the surrounding content and the article’s position on the data.